*Vacancy announcement: Research Fellow or Senior Research Fellow, United Nations University Institute of Advanced Studies (UNU-IAS)
Organisational Unit: International Governance for Sustainable Development
Duty Station: Yokohama, Japan
Reference Number: 2009/UNU/IAS/01
Application Deadline: 31 March 2010
Expected Start Date: May 2010
Duration of Appointment: 1 year (with the possibility of renewal)
Information on UNU-IAS is available at www.ias.unu.edu.
The Research Fellow or Senior Research Fellow will be expected to be fully involved in the academic activities of UNU-IAS in the area of international governance for sustainable development. Substantial amount of time will be in carrying out research and research supervision of the postdoctoral and doctoral fellows at UNU-IAS, as well as assist in fundraising efforts. The Fellow will report directly to the Director of UNU-IAS.
– Ph.D. (no ABDs), preferably in the areas of social/environmental sciences or international environmental law/international relations, though doctoral graduates from natural sciences, who have worked with international agreements or regimes are also encouraged to apply
– Demonstrated research experience in the area of international agreements or regimes, particularly their relations with development and environmental issues
– A sound record or potential for publication in the area of international agreements and international regimes
– Research management skills and teaching experience are desirable
– Ability to prepare funding proposals
– Fluency in English and a working knowledge of other UN official languages desired,
Remuneration: A monthly stipend can range from JPY 350,000 to 600,000, depending on the candidate’s academic qualifications and years of work experience.
Address applications to:
Director, United Nations University Institute of Advanced Studies (UNU-IAS)
1-1-1 Minato Mirai, Nishi-ku, Yokohama 220-8502, Japan
Fax: +81-45-221-2302 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications/nominations will be acknowledged
Applications consist of:
– A cover letter describing how your qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position. Please include the vacancy reference number in the letter.
– A UN University Personal History Form (P.11) accessible on the UN University website (www.unu.edu/employment)
– Full Curriculum Vitae with list of publications and names and contacts, including email addresses of three referees (the referees will be contacted directly by UNU-IAS in the event that the candidate is shortlisted)
– Two publication samples (single author articles or book chapters)
Late applications will not be considered. Clearly state the reference number in the subject header.