IWMI Vacancy Announcement – Researcher – Groundwater Management and Policy – #NRL-WATER
If you possess a PhD or equivalent training related to the analysis of social-physical interaction of water processes, and are capable of conducting original research on water (groundwater, in particular) management and policy in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region, then you could be the person that the International Water Management Institute (IWMI) is looking for. The position holder will be based at the Cairo office of IWMI located at the International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA) in Cairo, Egypt, and will report to the Principal Researcher based there.
- manage research activities on groundwater management, institutions and policy in the MENA region, which includes contracting and liaising with partners, conducting fieldwork and data analysis, organizing stakeholder workshops, and writing of reports and articles;
- contribute ideas and assist in bibliographical searches to develop a new research agenda related to water and agriculture in the Middle East, for example, on river basin management or assessment of policy processes and governance;
- contribute to other potential research activities in the region, with particular reference to the Nile Delta;
- supervise master’s students involved in specific field research; and
- contribute to IWMI’s overall research program.
You will possess
- a PhD or equivalent training related to the analysis of social and physical interaction of water processes or policies;
- the equivalent of at least 3 years’ post-PhD experience working on systemic analysis of irrigated agriculture (surface water or groundwater irrigation), or more generally water management, using approaches that combine the technical understanding of water management and farming systems, together with consideration of institutional or policy dimensions;
- demonstrated ability to publish in peer-reviewed journals;
- sensitivity to, and interest in, social and policy dimensions of water resources management;
- computer literacy, with skills in handling and carrying out quality control procedures on hydrological and water management data;
- ability to articulate quantitative and qualitative analyses;
- good communication and writing skills, with a good command of both oral and written English;
- ability to effectively establish priorities, and plan, organize and monitor own work in an interdisciplinary and multiple task environment;
- strong interpersonal skills and ability to maintain effective working relationships in a multicultural, multiethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity;
- ability to work in interdisciplinary teams, with local and international partners; and
- knowledge in institutional analysis
It would be useful if you have
- previous experience in the field of groundwater management and/or action research, participatory processes or multi-stakeholder platforms will be a major asset;
- skills in GIS and relevant computer software;
- spoken Arabic or language skills, which will be a major asset; and
- previous working experience in the MENA region
This is an internationally recruited position with a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a housing allowance, transport, education, shipping assistance, annual home leave, retirement and health insurance package. IWMI’s policy is to appoint staff initially on three-year contracts which are subject to renewal, depending on performance and the Institute’s needs.
The International Water Management Institute (www.iwmi.org) is an international, non-profit research organization dedicated to improving the management of land and water resources for food, livelihoods and the environment. IWMI is a member of CGIAR, an international consortium of agricultural research centers.
IWMI is an equal opportunity employer and is keen to further diversify its staff in terms of both gender and nationality.
To apply for the position, visit http://www.iwmi.cgiar.org/About_IWMI/Vacancies/
Complete the Application Form + attach your résumé + attach your letter which addresses IWMI’s requirements shown above with names and email addresses of 3 professional referees, to be contacted if you are shortlisted.