Vacancy Announcement: UNESCO Natural Sciences – Division of Hydrological Science- Section of Groundwater Systems and Human Settlements
Title : PROGRAMME SPECIALIST
Domain : Natural Sciences – Hydrological Science
Grade : P-4
Organizational Unit : NATURAL SCIENCES SECTOR
Primary Location : FR-Paris
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Salary : 91 873 Euros
Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 22 June, 2017
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Natural Sciences (ADG/SC) and the direct supervision of the Chief of Section of Groundwater Systems and Settlements (SC/HYD/GSS), the incumbent will be the responsible officer for the Environmental Groundwater Resources Management and Human Settlements component of the UNESCO’s International Hydrological Programme (IHP). S/he will define priorities for the comprehensive research and studies on the water education activites related to groundwater and transboundary aquifers and the use of new science-based methodologies that facilitate the Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM). S/he will ensure the development and delivery of programme and project management initiatives of the Section and will manage, advise and report on their progress.
The incumbent in particular will:
- Develop, drive and ensure the delivery of a comprehensive Environmental Groundwater Resources Management Programme, and contribute to the Human Settlements strategy.
- Conceptualize new science-based methodologies for data collection and analysis and design relevant approaches, partnerships, policies and objectives.
- Plan, develop and implement outreach strategies, aimed at expanding programmes and increasing resources and visibility through communication with partners and networks.
- Coordinate multidisciplinary activities on surface water and groundwater conjunctive management.
- Ensure consultative support and execute technical assistance and capacity development projects in strategic areas of UNESCO’s IHP mandate, as well as provide intellectual and strategic advice on the alignment of the Transboundary Aquifers Resources Management initiatives to attain the Sustainable Development Goals such as the SDG 6, and in particular SDG 6.5.2.
- Mobilize resources through the preparation of project proposals, cooperation frameworks, and negotiation with donor agencies and other technical partners.
- Organize consultations, training and technical events related to the section or IHP.
- Represent the IHP at internal and external meetings and network events, and serve as focal point within the Division of Water Sciences on his/her areas of expertise; participate in crosscutting activities and projects.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent in the field of water resources management, hydrology, environmental engineering, water resources engineering / sciences, geohydrology or in a related area. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible professional experience in the field of water resources management, hydrology and water resources research, of which preferably 3 years acquired at the international level.
- Research and education experience in the field of water with a proven track record of scientific publications.
To apply open the link : https://careers.unesco.org/careersection/2/joblist.ftl and identify the Post Number : SC 460